Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New Switcher In The Freight Yard

I have added another Fairbanks-Morse switcher to my model railroad collection. This little utilitarian gem is a Nickel Plate Road switcher with black and yellow "scare stripes" on nose and tail. The first one received had a cosmetic defect near the roof ventilation fan and was sent back to the manufacturer for replacement. It is with great enjoyment that I safely and successfully move fictitious chemicals and other commodities through rail yards and between industries. Being very particular about time period, road names, engines, and freight cars can be frustrating since a large amount of available equipment is of modern vintage and my preference is the transition period when steam and diesel coexisted (1930's-1950's). I plan to acquire steam equipment in the near future. Older designs simply have more class and style.

I continue to rehabilitate an unfinished 4x8 foot HO scale layout that was given to me a few weeks ago. Polishing the track with a light abrasive was necessary to improve electrical conductivity for a soon to be installed power pack. Until such time that my layout is operational, I will run train equipment on a 30x90 foot layout owned by a model railroad club. Trains run through a mountain the size of a refrigerator!

No comments: